Systems Administrator | Intermediate
Smart Manufacturing starts with factory automation software
PEER Group® provides the largest portfolio of factory automation software products and services to high-volume manufacturers and equipment makers in the semiconductor, photovoltaics (PV), and electronics industries. We help lower the cost of automation for our customers by solving their most challenging equipment automation, data management, and process control problems.
As a group, we are focused on creating customer success while working in a supportive atmosphere filled with challenges, fun and food. Our workstations were created for ergonomic comfort with cube walls for times when we have to concentrate and huge whiteboards for when we need to collaborate. We like profit sharing and full disclosure Communications Meetings. We recognize the great people we grow by promoting from within.
Systems Administrator | Intermediate
Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada
4-7 years’ experience in a progressively responsible IT role
Reporting to the Systems Administrator - Senior, the Systems Administrator - Intermediate (Systems Admin) is responsible for maintaining, operating and improving a robust IT infrastructure to support the needs of a growing 100+ employee, multi-location technology business.
The Systems Admin maintains the computing environment by identifying network requirements, installing upgrades, and monitoring network performance.
You are the go-to gal/guy who gets things done. You demonstrate mastery of your domain in SharePoint
and/or TFS administration.
You read about new technologies and you’re stoked to get a chance to configure and support cloud-based products and high tech software environments.
You love being on a team that gives you the opportunity to solve problems outside of your area of expertise, growing your knowledge stack, learning while doing, solving a juicy problem, teasing out the solution with research, and collaborating on brain-busting ideas.
You are a strategic thinker who is always thinking of better ways to provide software development environments and key business systems that are rock-solid reliable and provide the foundation for a successful company.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Administration of core business services (Sharepoint, TFS, Exchange Email, file shares (DFS), Backup (Backup Exec), network (Cisco)).
- Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tunings.
- Provides network security by enforcing network policies, monitoring, control, and evaluation; maintaining documentation.
- Upgrades network by developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
- Physical and virtual server administration including preventative maintenance, patch management (SCCM) and system upgrades.
- Perform server installations, migrations, patches, upgrades, and retirements.
- Helps teams to identify, design, and optimize SQL queries.
- Manage and maintain data backup/archiving infrastructure and ensure proper data management techniques are being performed.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Provides after-hours support as part of a team rotation.
To excel in this position, you need to possess:
- Post-secondary education in IT and/or systems administration.
- Continuing education demonstrating the drive to keep up with technology changes.
Experience (4-7 years)
- Windows Server 2012 - 2016.
- Windows Desktop OS, MS Office 365.
- Administration of on-premise MS SharePoint and/ or TFS servers.
- Active Directory, DNS, DHCP.
- Backup technologies such as BackupExec.
- Antivirus and antispam technologies.
- Networking appliances such as commercial-grade firewalls, switches, routers, etc.
- Progressively responsible server administration role in an environment that included Windows, Unix and Linux operating systems.
- Expertise in Windows Server OS and AD, Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware hypervisors, Dell hardware, SAN technology, Unix hardware, MS Exchange Server, PowerShell, Nginx, IIS, SQL Server, Enterprise Information Security, IT Operations.
- Hands on management of cloud computing services include Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure – nice to have.
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and network installation.
- Strong knowledge of IP networking and the OSI model, including application layer protocols such as CIFS, DHCP, DNS, HTTPS, SMTP and SSH.
- ITIL Certified with working knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes, procedures and roles.
- Experience ensuring security of data, network access and backup systems.
- Proven working experience as Systems Administrator in a globally diverse IT environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to speak/write German a bonus. Ability to speak/write Mandarin a bonus. Must be able to communicate clearly with people of varying technical levels.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated problem solving, self-management and organizational skills.
We need your ability to jump on a learning curve, familiarize yourself with our people and their challenges, our tools and environment, the industry we work in and the solutions we provide and get right to work planning for the future.
Come and work in an environment where professionals have a chance to become experts; where you work in a small company environment, but deal in the big leagues. Come to PEER Group.
Please submit your resume by email to Janice Retterath. Visit our careers section for more information on applying to and interviewing with PEER Group.